It’s “make your own cat toy” time! Furball’s been getting a little bored lately as evidenced by his unwarranted attack on the couch this morning. So, today, I’m making him one of his favourite homemade cat toys, the Flippity Flappity Flag. This cat toy takes less than a minute to make and it’s great for cats who love to catch stuff in the air or chase after toys. The following homemade cat toy is an excerpt from my book, Make Your Own Cat Toys: Saving the Planet One Cat Toy at a Time.
FLIPPITY FLAPPITY FLAG
Kitty may not have expressed any prior interest in patriotism. However, the Flippity Flappity Flag, with its crisp snapping sounds and wildly erratic movements will have her standing at attention in no time. Selecting the right plastic bag is key to creating this toy. The bag should be made from a crisp and heavy plastic. To test the bag for effectiveness, do the “symphony test.” Place an object in the bag, go to the symphony and then take the object out of the bag. If everyone around you gives you nasty looks, then this is ideal Flippity Flappity Flag material. After you’ve reused your bags multiple times and they’re too dodgy for groceries and full of too many holes to be used for garbage (especially cat litter), you can use them for cat toys. In an ideal world, everyone would carry reusable totes and I would have to invent new toys because plastic bags would no longer exist.
What you’ll need:
- Plastic bag
- Heavy shoelace
- Cut a 5” x 1.5” rectangle from the plastic bag.
- Tie a slip knot at the end of the shoelace. See page 112 for instructions on how to tie a slip knot.
- Slip about 1” of the plastic bag through the loop in the shoelace. Pull tightly to secure the shoelace around the plastic bag. Flippity Flappity Flag is now ready to be waved.
HOW YOU CAN TAKE ACTION
- Make your cat a new toy this weekend. It can be the Flippity Flappity Flag or create your own homemade cat toy idea. Just remember to play safe and play smart. Choose materials that you know your cat won’t ingest and never leave your cat unsupervised when playing with cat toys. This applies for all toys, not just homemade cat toys.
- Please feel free to share this “make your own” cat toy idea with friends by clicking the “Share This” link below.
The Flippity Flappity Flag is copyrighted so if you’d like to reproduce this homemade cat toy idea, please contact me at permissions AT makeyourowncattoys.com with your request. Thank you.
|Dozens of Eco-Friendly Cat Toy Ideas
Furball, my cat, loves to play and he was so hyperactive as a kitten that I invented dozens of toys and games for him and even wrote a book about them.
Make Your Own Cat Toys features instructions for over 50 cat toys that can be made in minutes, if not seconds, from stuff you have around the home. If you’d like to learn more about the book, please visit www.MakeYourOwnCatToys.com.